Who is authorized
to request and view a consumer credit report?
Permissible purpose is defined in Section 604 of the Fair Credit Reporting
A consumer reporting agency may furnish a consumer report under the following
- In response to a court order or a Federal Grand Jury Subpoena.
- In accordance with the written instruction of the consumer.
- To a person or entity whom the bureau has reason to believe:
- Intends to use the report in connection with the extension of credit, or
the review or collection of an account;
- Intends to use the report for insurance underwriting;
- Intends to use the report for determining the eligibility for a government
license or benefit where the government agency is required to consider the
consumer's financial status;
- Otherwise has a legitimate business need for the report in connection with
a business transaction involving the consumer.